Since realizing last month just how bitter my posts had become, I've been striving to write about the good at least as often as the bad. There's a fair amount of criticism expressed in these posts, but there's also a real sense of accomplishment as I work through the things that have kept me locked in a disgruntled holding pattern. The last two posts are particularly important to me—during the course of writing them, I made peace with something that's bedeviled me for four years, rediscovered the joy of writing about the things I love, and tried my hand at Star Trek fanfiction for the first time (that I recall).
- Retrospective: June 2013
- A Comfortable Rut
- Loser's Circle
- Winner's Circle
- From the Stars, Knowledge
- The Compatible Wife
Switching things up from my regular fare of podcast video posts, games I've recently played, and columns I swear I still write, I took on the Editor-in-Chief's behind-the-scenes challenge to review a game from his "how have we never covered this" list, and extended the challenge to include a huge batch of videos we'd somehow never plugged.
- Little Nemo: The Dream Master (NES)
- Mega Man Madness!
This is really where I was spending all my time for GameCola: jumping into someone else's video series (some of the most fun I've had recording for the GameCola channel), and finishing off my easiest video project yet (placing prerecorded audio over still-frame images). At the same time, I was hard at work with the last of the video footage and first of the audio commentary for my Mega Man 7 playthrough. The Megathon moved one step closer to completion on YouTube, concluding the segment that made me swear to swap out Mega Man 8 for Mega Man & Bass the next time I do a marathon. To borrow an expression I've often heard from the livestreaming community, "Dat Astro Man."
- Crystalis D&Dcast - Part 7: Burning Down the House...Every House
- Crystalis D&Dcast - Part 8: Moving with Porpoise
- Crystalis D&Dcast - Part 9: Smote on the Water
- Crystalis D&Dcast - Part 10: The Final Countdown
- Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - Part 8: Bombs and Bombshells
- Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - Part 9: Sexy Toaster Waffles
- Megathon 2012: Mega Man 8 (PlayStation) - Part II
An unexpected gift, some seriously dedicated secret-searching, and an educational expedition into a new (old) series were the basis for these updates to my video game backlog. Completing two games—one of them fairly substantial, and one of them quite substantial—was immensely gratifying. Maintaining a steady diet of adventure games has been rewarding as well: the pacing and skill set required lend themselves to a more relaxing experience than I usually have with, say, action-packed platformers. Oh, and I beat Mega Man ZX Advent, which is the series' epitome of great ideas executed terribly.
- The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES)
- Leisure Suit Larry 1: In the Land of the Lounge Lizards (VGA) (PC)
- Leisure Suit Larry 2: Looking for Love (in Several Wrong Places) (PC)
- Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (VGA) (PC)
- Mega Man ZX Advent (NDS)
- Mega Man X: Command Mission (GCN)
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)